Select Page

National certification is an alternative to reciprocity that aims to harmonize teacher qualification criteria in several countries. However, it is important to note that the National Board Certification should serve as a compliment for a state teaching certificate and not as a substitute. The National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) and the Interstate New Teacher Assessment and Support Consortium (INTASC) are two organizations active in understanding teacher qualification standards in many states. These organizations have developed a framework for states to design their teacher training programs, with the final results being similar standards for teachers, which greatly facilitate change between countries. With this consistency, your license certification does not have to be “replicated” in another state, but your certification will show that you have qualifications similar to those of another state, and the work will be easier. NBPTS offers National Board Certification, an Advanced Teaching Certificate that demonstrates knowledge and qualification beyond your license. Candidates for the Council`s national certification voluntarily complete ten certification assessments they are seeking. This certificate is recognized in most states and therefore facilitates teaching in another state. However, it is important to note once again that a National Certification Board will complete a state teaching certificate, but will not replace it. Teachers still need to develop their state-to-state teaching certificates before they are allowed to teach legally in a public school system. The National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) was created to promote cooperation and communication between educators in different countries and facilitate mobility and interstate licensing. NASDTEC formed the Interstate Agreement to facilitate this movement. Since 2011, Iowa and Minnesota are the only states not to participate in the Interstate Agreement.

A person with a license or certification in one state can obtain a license in another state as long as both states participate in the agreement. Some countries have their own specific requirements that need to be met, such as extra course work, testing or teaching experience, but the agreement makes things much easier. The way the agreement works is that each state (as well as the District of Columbia, the territories of Guam and Puerto Rico and even some Canadian provinces) explains which states they will accept teacher licenses or certificates and what additional requirements, if any, will be required. They can even specify the types of certificates they accept (teachers, administrators, etc.). These agreements do not necessarily go both ways. Just because Georgia, for example, accepts Connecticut certification does not mean that Connecticut accepts Georgia certification. Connecticut is expected to declare in its agreement that it accepts certification by Georgia. In a perfect world, a teacher with a certification in a state would be able to teach in all U.S. states; Unfortunately, this is not the case. Since teaching certification requirements can vary considerably from state to state, it is often necessary to take further steps before you can teach in a state for which you do not have certification. These additional measures constitute the reciprocity of teacher certification.

Navigating the ins and outs of teacher certification recipie can be overwhelming and include countless Google searches.